Friday, April 30, 2010

Conner (Depression & Sexual Abuse)

Conner is the type of guy that everyone thinks has everything. However, his past life has caused him a lot of harm. At first he has a lot of sexual thoughts. He feels like there is a sexual connection with him and his therapist that is a woman. He thinks that every girl in the treatment center wants him. Before he came to Aspen Springs he had developed a relationship with an older woman that was one of his teachers. She broke it off because of the pressure and he felt like his world was over. His controlling mother doesn't think that Conner should be on medication. She says that people who take medication are freaks; they have no future. Well this statement is NOT true. Conner therapist prescribes him Valium and Ativan to help him sleep. However, because of his mother's comments he decides to take himself off the medication. This is NOT a good thing. Someone canNOT take themselves off their own medication. It can cause the person to become even more depressed and this is exactly what happened to Conner. At the end of the book we find out that Conner's nanny touched him at the age of 12. He thought that this was the real way to show love because his mother never hugged him or showed him any physical love. He says, "woman in my life Dr. Boston, Leona, Emily--tried to please them--because of wanting attention from my mother." Conner was taught the wrong way about love because of his nanny. This sexual abuse caused him to become insecure which is why he had a lot of sexual thoughts about a lot of different woman. Conner kills himself at the end of the book because he was so depressed. This is why people should NOT take themselves off their medications. It's dangerous!

8 comments:

  1. This is very interesting kelsey. I know exactly how Connor feels. i have Depression and when i go off my medicine i get cranky so i take Zoloft everyday to help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,
    I tried posting a comment on your blog a few minutes ago and it hasn't shown up so I am sending this as a test post.

    Thanks,
    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey,
    Well, I didn't take my own advice and write my comment in a Word document first so I will be rewriting it, hopefully I don't forget anything...ARG!

    As you've read this book, did you run across anything that would lead you to believe that Conner's therapist was using psychoanalysis on him? You mentioned that Conner began falling in love with the therapist and I'm wondering, was he projecting his feelings on her since he couldn't be with his teacher?

    Thank you for all your hard work so far!
    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is an interesting idea Ms. Clausen. In the story the therapist said that she, too, had fallen in love with an older teacher at a young age. I think she probably was using psychoanalysis, but I think she could also relate to him. My beliefs are that because of Conner's sexual abuse from his nanny he began to believe that the only way to show love is through sexual acts. I looked up "sexual abuse" on Teen Health & Wellness this is what it said: "Some victims will act out sexually, trying to reenact the original trauma over and over again perhaps in an effort to reach a different outcome or exert some control over a situation that made them feel totally lacking in control" (www.teenhealthandwellness.com). In a way this is what I believe Conner was trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MissBritt--
    I too suffered from depression before I moved here. A whole school hated me for no reason; therefore, I started to hate myself. It was horrile, but I got help. At first I went to a therapist--who really was a joke--that gave me medicine. The medicine didn't seem to help. I had to go to a treatment center for about 3 weeks. At this treatment center a woman came into my room and talked to me about God. After I got out I went to church where I truly found God. After a few months my "therapist" took me off my medication and I felt better than ever. Religion, exercise, and moving here really helped me. I can honestly say these things saved me. You're not alone you can always talk to me. But please promise me you won't take yourself off your medication. It's a dangerous thing and I love you too much! =) =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your concern Kelsey, I wont take myself off my medicine because it makes me feel amazing. I love you to lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand what you are saying. But sometimes people also feel like they are forced to take medication and don't want it. Some people like to think that they can handle the disorder or problem on their own. They don't want to be dependant on the medication. I would happen to know this from experience. I took myself off of an antidepressant because I felt that I was having the medication doing all of the work for me, so I wanted to work it out myself. But at the same time, there are different severities of the problem. I hate medication because my brother is forced to take a lot of medication for his problems, and the last time I saw him, he was the palest color that I have ever seen anyone have. I was angry, so I took myself off of my antidepressant and the doctor said okay. And he let me try to work it out on my own and it worked. But don't get me wrong, medication can be useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually mstark I don't like medications. Personally I would rather try herbs or vitamins before "hardcore" medication. I guess it depends on the person and situation. I'm glad it all worked out for you :)
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete